Saturday, October 23, 2010

Rabbi's Cat

I did not care the Rabbi's Cat for the most part, it was a very deep graphic novel. I first want to talk about the aesthetics of the book. I actually liked the art in the look, it reminded me of something that would be on Cartoon Network or Nickelodeon in the mid to late 90's when I was a little kid and the cat seemed very fluid and well animated like an actual cat. One thing about the writing that made this work much harder for me to read then other ones we have read for class was the use of cursive writing for the cats narration in the book, this made an already very deep book that much harder to read for me. I don't really know what to think about the real text of the book, it is quite scattered and seems quite open to interpretation. The last part of the book where the family goes to France for the honeymoon is the most confusing for me. It seems as if the rabbi sees a lot of people who are called "Jews" but they do not follow all the rules that come with it, this distresses him. Then he goes and eats a meal, which breaks just about all of the rules on food and food preparation, after the meal he says a prayer for those who transgress against the rules. Then he also talks to daughter's father-in law, a nonreligious Jew, and from his experiences in France he goes back to his "parish" (I don't know what the Jewish term for this is) and basically says he does not know if his religion and bascially his whole life's work means anything, but lets just do it anyway. The characters in this book are just so ridiculous and unreal that I had a hard time getting much out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment