Saturday, October 23, 2010

More mouse

It was a rather quick class that we had this week, since we had to through roughly twice the reading as we normally do, but it was productive and kept things from getting dull as easily happens in a three hour long class. One thing that shocked me when we were talking about Maus two was that the picture of Vladek was taken after the war. I was under the impression that this photo was taken of him by the Nazi's or something of the sort, but he actually got this taken after the war as some sort of memorabilia or a trophy or I don't know. I cannot see how someone would want such memorabilia from going through one of the worst things that one could go through. I know in the photo Vladek had well fitted clothes, but in the book it also said that he got some well fitted clothes and better shoes, so I thought it made sense that the photo could be taken while the camp was still under Nazi control. It also seems strange to me as to how Vladek can keep his photo from his Nazi prison camp, and how he had to get rid of Anja's journals. It is rather sad to see how Vladek can survive the Nazi prison camp and talk about it without strong emotions, but Anja's suicide is unbearable for him. I think this might be because going though the Nazi prison camp was something he had to choice in, he was one of the lucky ones who made it, but Anja's suicide seems like it could very well have been because she found Vladek unbearable and probably many other reasons.

2 comments:

  1. I have to say that the picture of Vladek in his prison uniform creeped me out a bit. I kept thinking that if we can mistakenly think that it was taken in the camps then others could think the same. Since Vladek appears rather healthy in the photo, I feel that someone, believing that the photo was taken in the camps, would believe the prisoners in the camp were treated well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with both of you. The photo was shocking to me once I realized it was taken after his time in the Holocaust. My first thought was also, why would you want to take a picture like this, in your prison clothes? However, after we discussed it in class I kind of agreed with the other opinions mentioned. Some said it portrayed Vladek as a survivor. He was clean, healthy and well-clothed. Maybe we can interpret this as something Vladek thought he wouldn't make it through but did, so he wanted to be proud of the fact that he was able get through the horrible Holocaust.

    ReplyDelete